Linking Families Volunteer Newsletter
Summer 2012-2013 | Click here to download
Volunteers with the Karitane Linking Families Volunteer Programs support families in Fairfield, Bankstown & Liverpool L.G.A by providing:
- weekly home visits to families of approximately 2 hours.
- assistance within supported playgroups,
- community development.
Volunteers offer support to families for 2 - 4 hours, once a week, Monday to Friday. Volunteers must undergo “Working with Children Checks”. A staff member is available at all times to support the volunteer if needed.
If you wish to volunteer at Karitane Linking Families please phone 02 9754 2655 and leave your expression of interest.
The Karitane Linking Families Volunteer Program has designed and facilitates an Education Program for Volunteers to enhance their skills so they can provide support to isolated families. This course is delivered over 6 weeks with participants attending 4 hours per week. The training venues are Fairfield Heights and/or Karitane Residential Unit Conference Centre at Carramar.
A monthly Ongoing Education Program is offered to volunteers, providing education and support. An external evaluation of the Volunteer program in 2004, demonstrated the positive outcomes for both families and volunteers. For further information on the volunteer training please contact Karitane Linking Families on 02 9754 2655.
Reasons why families may ask to be supported
- They are lonely or isolated.
- Needing a break.
- Finding parenting difficult.
- Needing more confidence or support.
- Finding it hard to get out of the house.
- Family or friends may not be able to help.
- Their partner may work long hours or not be available to help.
- They may be a single parent.
- They may have twins, triplets or a premature baby.
- The child may have a disability or be unwell.
- The parent may have a disability or be unwell.
- They may not speak English.
- They may want to meet other families living close by.
The Volunteer can help families by:
- Increasing family and community support.
- Visiting for a chat, being a good listener
- Acting as a role model for families