Taking good care of yourself is the most important thing to take good care of your baby. Taking steps towards personal self-care makes a real difference when adjusting to your new role as a parent.
- Sit outside in the fresh air with a cup of tea, go for a walk, take a relaxing bath, or do something that you enjoy.
- Meeting and chatting with other new parents offers a valuable source of company and support. The Resourcing Parents website can be helpful.
- Even reading a magazine for a few minutes can provide the mental break you need.
- A well balanced diet will give you the right energy to care for your child.
- Try to fit in some physical activity each day. This could be a walk with the pram, home yoga, or a gym membership.
- If friends and family offer to pitch in, use your free time for self-care.
- If you ever feel overwhelmed or that you can’t cope, don’t be afraid to seek the help of a healthcare professional.